Friday, October 5, 2012

October 5, 2012

We took our first math test and I must say the results were impressive!  The class average was 92%.  The kids are working hard and I do tell them that math takes hard work and concentration.  We started double digit and triple digit addition without regrouping today.  The kids seemed to pick up on it quickly. This chapter will also introduce the concept of story problems.  These are not easy, but I'm confident the students will understand them and be great problem solvers by year end.  Please be encouraging during homework time.  I know as a parent myself that this can be difficult at times.  It is extremely important that your child be the one to read the problem and try it on their own.  When you are asked for help, please start by asking your child what it is that they think they need to do.  Most times when I ask this question they know how to solve it and do have the correct answer, but do not have the confidence to believe they are correct.  The power of our words and the things we say to our children can make or break their confidence.  Here is an example, the day before the test I told the class that I believed that everyone of them could get 100% on the test.  I told them that they have all worked really hard and have completed all the work to prepare themselves.  I think our results help prove that positive words can make a difference.  Tell your child you believe in them and that you know they work hard, your words will go a long way!

We are continuing to practice using our reading strategies in class.  I want to thank all the parents who have been taping up all of our new books.  The students are so excited when I bring out new books.  The National Geographic books are very popular.  I am almost done meeting individually with students to set their reading goal.  I will then match students who have the same goal to meet with in small groups to be sure they are making progress on their goal(s).  This same format will also be happening with writing.  I am also in the process of adding a reading program called Raz-Kids to our classroom reading time and computer lab time.  Students will be able to access this site from home as well for more reading practice in a different format.  Again any books read on this site can also count on the weekly homework.  Please look for this information next week.  

Science has started with practicing process skills using leaves from our playground.  Students are observing attributes (size, shape, color, texture) of their leaves and will compare the similarities and differences as well.  I would like students to bring in an apple next Thursday, October 11 so that we can use our new skills with our apples and then transform the apples into applesauce.  









No comments:

Post a Comment